Saturday, February 23, 2013

Jim Corbett Diaries- II

And thus started our second day at Ramnagar. The itinerary outlined visits to a local waterfall and a temple. As usual day the day took off with bread, egg, TT and badminton. My TT skills were definitely improving. Add to that Vishrut's, a fresher, tutoring on the game. He could spin the ball and make it land where he intend to on the table. The table was damaged and thus not suited to play proper TT, he opined. He was right. Even a dinner table would have made a better playing surface than the table on which we were playing. I started off with playing ping-pong sort of TT. As we played further, our game skills were progressively improving. Or we could hit the ball fast and yet make it land it inside the table. Brownie points! The badminton court was a different story altogether. To my surprise, I was good at it! I hadn't played the game for a log while. I expected to fare badly. It was not to be. Actually my badminton skills had improved from the last time. Kartik and I beat almost every other team. I must say, Kartik is the better player. The most pathetic one out there was Uday. Despite his height of 6'4" and lanky frame, he couldn't touch the shuttlecock. His above-ordinary height has bestowed upon him the luck to make contact with these high flying projectiles without much ado. Yet, he won't or he can't! Anyway, by 10 o'clock we left for the waterfalls in a bus.

At the waterfalls
The waterfalls was big time fun. Although we had to walk inside the jungle for quite a while to find it. Couple of days of trekking and constant playing had started to show on my calf muscles. Yet nothing could stop me. Simply none of us had the time to reflect on any tiredness. Everyone is moving and there is no time to lag behind. Thankfully our timing was near-perfect. There weren't any outsiders. Thus we owned the waterfalls, nearby woods and fun for the next one hour. Photographers, as usual, were busy capturing waterfalls, greenery and poses. I started stone-skipping, my favourite water sports! I am not bad at it, you know. Later took a small shower in the falls before settling down on a nearby rock. My foot was aching, thanks to walking on rocks barefooted. Nikita and Uday joined me and soon we were talking about books, I guess. After a while, others too had grown tired and came together for another group photo. Other tourists had started coming, mostly college students. The place was getting increasingly crowded. In another ten minutes or so we had started making our walk back to the bus. The resort was another thirty minutes away.

(from right) Uday, Nikita and I- from the waterfalls
Post lunch, boys were back on the field playing badminton and cricket. It was fun. And I can't bat for my life! Aroon, on the other hand is a good batsman and bowler. Kartik's technique is also admirable. Anil is good in Carrom. As I said before, we had another event featuring in the itinerary. We had to visit Garija temple, situated atop mountains. Thanks to the general irreligion prevailing among us, mostly none of us wanted to go. Pratyush&co. bunked it feigning ill-health. I decided to give it a shot. After all, a trip which costed me Rs. 4000/- had to be taken maximum advantage of. The bus trip lasted almost for an hour. I didn't talk much during the ride. I was enjoying the scenic beauty of Ramnagar, as we traveled further inside the village and upwards towards the temple. The roadside view was kind of nostalgic. It reminded me of sights I had come across during my trips to Kanyakumari, my father's place. Finally we reached the temple.

Rakesh, Kartik, I and Uday- on the banks of R. Kosi
Kartik, Uday and I decided to spend our time at River Kosi, which was flowing at a considerable might. Rakesh and Anil joined us in a while. Although I had a digital camera, I didn't make use of it. The entire atmosphere during the trip was so ecstatic, I felt like living the moment than capturing it. At Kosi, Kartik's and Rakesh's phones did the trick for me, though. We played in the river, skipped stones and even tried to determine who can throw the stone the farthest. Uday won, beating Anil, finally! Uday and I ventured quite further into the river. At every step we were careful not to slip on the slippery rocks and stones. The flow of river was quite strong and violent. Had we slipped and fallen, chances of rescue would be dim. Anil had the prasad or temple offerings. He kept it inside my bag. We had spent around an hour and half at the temple before we left. We bought pakoras and snacks on our way back. Vikas bought pizza from a nearby pizza point and Aastha was trying to find a workable ATM to withdraw money to meet the trip's expenses. The entire bus was dancing to Yo Yo Honey Singh's latest number, Break Up Party. It is Uday's birthday by the way. Celebrations were  just starting. Wait till the nightfall.

Uday and I- revel it the way you want!
At night, bonfire was made. It required a lot of effort keep fire burning. We gathered woods and kept feeding the bonfire. I must admit Vikas has a special skill in blowing the ember into life. Let's admit, people were high. That added to the spirit! Uday's birthday cake was cut and everybody sang 'Happy Birthday.' Party songs enthralled the mood and everyone danced. In no time, dancing turned into rain dance. My name was conspicuously missing, though. Simply because I am paranoid about getting sick and I didn't want to invite pneumonia needlessly. Chirag made the plunge into the pool and buddies followed. Again I remained dry, literally. I guess the fun went a bit overboard. Otherwise it wouldn't have woken up Jaya ma'm from sleep. The earlier false alarm just went wrong, ironically. She caught us all red handed. It wasn't scary, but disturbing to upset her that way. She told others to come out of the pool and instructed us to go to bed immediately. We obeyed. The time was around 12 o'clock at night. The night didn't end there, though. We all gathered around in rooms and had fun, cracking jokes and gossiping. Finally we called it a day at 3 o'clock in the morning. Good night.

The third and final day at Ramagar was starting. We were supposed to leave for railway station at night. Our checkout time was around 12 o'clock at noon. We gave back all but three rooms, where we kept our luggage ready. Nothing was on the itinerary for the final day as we had exhausted ourselves of all activities on the first couple of days itself. A quiet and lazy day, it was. We all met at the pool. This time, I decided to take the plunge with everybody. In the pool, the water was biting. We had to acclimatize ourselves to the temperature before any fun could start. Initially we played catch and catch with balls. It is impossible to make diving catches in pools, I learned. It is even harder if you can't swim! Later the game evolved into human tug of war, God knows how! Still, it too was fun, pulling the unsuspecting from both sides. Vatsala captained our side. We were quite good too. We pulled it off! After what looked like an eternity of fun inside the pool, we made ground. I ran for a quick shower and changed dress. 

Tug of War- Anil caught in the middle
Tug of War- Vatsala leading the charge
Kartik, Uday, Vatsala and Aastha opted for sun-bathing, drying up themselves in the process. I joined them shortly. Aastha and Vatsala were talking about the fun we were going to miss once back in Delhi. Aastha complained about withdrawal symptoms. Actually she was right. Too much fun to be left behind. We played cricket and badminton for a while before the lunch. By afternoon we were all tired and could feel the three-day long fun trip coming to it's inevitable end. I went to Pratyush&co.'s place for a nap and Kartik, Uday and Vatsala joined us. Some TV, chit-chats about films and actors and a lot of chips summarize the evening. At night around 8:30, we left the resort for the railway station. Our train was scheduled to leave for Delhi at 9:50 p.m. We comfortably made the distance, waiting for almost forty-five minutes for the train. The train arrived on time and we boarded. The last leg of our trip had begun. I was already missing the fun but wasn't ready to waste the night-time train travel with friends sulking. For some weird reason, what Abhinav to Prtayush to Chirag to Vatsala could talk about was ghosts. Pratyush went on and on about the supernatural experiences he encountered during his school days. Abhinav, Chirag and Aastha also chipped in with their bit. I am very neutral on such matters. they may or may not exist. I don't care. By midnight we were all sleepy and went to our berths. At 4 o'clock in the morning the train reached Delhi and we all deboarded. My father was waiting for me outside the Old Delhi railway station. I said goodbyes to friends and an awesome trip!
Rakesh, Uday, Kartik and I- the fun never ends

No comments:

Post a Comment