Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Mother- Gorky, Relentless and Soviets

Maxim Gorky's Mother is a classic, which needs no introduction. I possess one copy of the book. Actually it belongs to my father. For some reason, I haven't been able to finish it. Two earlier attempts were made to reach the last page progressively. Initial attempt was made long back, at least 5 full Gregorian era calendars should be turned. Then, I was a kid, relatively. My own laziness stopped me from finishing. As we say, there is always a tomorrow. And that tomorrow came a long five years later, this year. I had started reading fiction seriously and had the momentum with me.
The Mother is a brilliant read and gave me the much needed literary break from action-packed adventures I had been devouring. The read is subtle and intense simultaneously. A calm and light-weighted feeling on your chest, it provided a real escape from the outside world. Anyone could easily connect with the protagonist and the pre-revolution Russian worker class plight. There came the twist in the tale. I contracted an eye infection and the doctor advised a strict No-No to books, laptops, TV etc. In whole, eyes must not be strained at all. The Mother had to be left in midway. The life resumed later and the fiction-momentum was picked up gradually, although my academics stayed as neglected as ever. The Mother, somehow, refused to come along or I didn't bother to take the read along. The book still remains in the shelf, waiting to be picked up and eager to climax. The book seems so much demanding and proud. No momentum would work against it. It is as if the read creates a space and pace of its' own, regardless of the reader's surroundings. If the novel feels tired, it rests, forcing the audience to retire. Certainly the scroll knows its' place among world classics and she demands the respect. This fiction has life; words avenge for the once-neglected lives. No wonder, the work refuses to budge. Revolutionary, indeed!

Another exciting feature about the copy is that it was printed in USSR, a remnant of past global communist Czar. My father bought it during his youth days, back in Tamil Nadu, for Rs.5! Probably a part of Soviet tactics to lead the young of the world the global revolution way!

No comments:

Post a Comment